Diabetes in Dogs: Do’s and Don’ts for your friend
Diabetes is a disease as common in dogs as in humans. It occurs mainly when the metabolism of the dog is not proper i.e. the conversion of food into energy.
This means that the Glucose-Insulin connection isn’t working efficiently. Excessive sugar builds up in the bloodstream and still, the cells starve for it.
|Product Image||Product Description||Ratings||Buy Now
|Superfood Dog Treats|
|Food for Adult Dogs|
|Ice Molds Trays with Puppy Dog|
|Ketogenic Pet Foods - BEEF HEART & LIVER|
How do you know if your dog is diabetic?
If your dog shows any symptoms like excessive thirst, increased urination, weight loss or loss of appetite, it is better to consult a veterinarian and get it tested for diabetes.
A permanent cure is not so successful but it can be managed with some precautions and controlled diet.
Food to avoid diabetes in Dogs?
The cases of diabetes in dogs have been on the rise for the last few years.
Although there is no particular set of instructions of the type of foods that can totally prevent this, keeping these things in mind can reduce the severity of your pup’s symptoms.
- Ensure a grain free diet for your dog
- Give them filtered water
- Give them plenty of exercises
- Massage cinnamon oil on the pads of their feet
- Do not give cortisone
Food for Diabetic Dog
Diabetes Mellitus is the most common in dogs and controlling their diet is an important part of treating their disease.
Experts suggest that consistency in the diet is more crucial than the type of food they eat.
Avoid food containing simple sugars or those with high glucose like white rice and bread.
Preventing and Treating Canine Diabetes
Consult a veterinarian to know the number of calories your dog requires and keep an eye on it. It is advisable to give high fibre low-fat food and make sure they drink plenty of water.
Fibre uses up a considerable amount of water from the body and needs to be replenished to avoid problems like constipation.
Even treats between meals are alright just that, they should be low on sugar, be it any form.
Apart from everything listed above, probably your pooch will need insulin injection regularly.
So, don’t worry!
Nonprescription diabetic dog food
It is important to know which food is best for your dog. After thorough research, “Dogs Against Romney” states the following list of brands –
- Blue Wilderness – Young and Adult dogs
- Purina Beyond – Adult Dogs
- Whole Earth Farms – Adult Dogs
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain – Puppies and Adult Dogs
- Nutrisca Grain Free – All life stages
Homemade food for Diabetic Dog
For a dog owner, balanced, home-prepared diet is deceptively hard to prepare. Owners of diabetics have a double obstacle to overcome when preparing home-made food.
They must provide a portion of food that’s consistent in calories and sugar content, at the same time provide a balanced diet.
However, balance is achieved by feeding a variety of ingredients. On the whole, feeding a prescription diet designed for diabetic dogs is advisable.
Here is a homemade food recipe for your four-legged friend.
Ingredients of Homemade food for Diabetic Dog
- Lean ground beef or chicken
- Pearl barley
- Brown rice
- Minced celery, green beans, chopped spinach or green vegetable
- Boiled eggs and cottage cheese
Steps of Homemade food for Diabetic Dog
- Put the ingredients in a pan
- Bring it to boil and then simmer
- Cook till all the water is absorbed
- Garnish with boiled eggs and cottage cheese
Keep these things in mind –
- Make a consistent recipe so that the body can best process sugar peaks
- Food should be low in simple sugars
- Should be rich in fibre and better contain more unrefined carbohydrates
- Ensure a low-fat diet
- Better to include small amounts of good quality meat
Diabetic Dog food reviews
A study shows that 1 out of every 100 dogs is suffering from diabetes.
If your friend is already diagnosed with it, it’s time to take special care of his diet.
There are several brands available in the market that manufacture special diets for diabetic dogs.
Always consult a veterinarian and look for the reviews on that particular dog food on the internet. There are several websites, especially for this purpose.
Founded in 2002 in Wilton, Connecticut, Blue Buffalo is the leader in premium quality, all-natural pet nutrition. It offers a large no. of options like –
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken etc.