Low carb diet for dogs-As compared to other nutrients like proteins and fats, canines have almost Zero requirements for carbohydrates.
Still, they form a major part of dog’s food today, especially in commercial foods because they are easily available and have a higher shelf life.
Low/ Zero carb diet tips for dogs
It’s not that carbohydrates are totally bad for dogs. In reasonable amounts, they act as a good source of energy but the problem lies in the quantity.
Therefore, it is better to look for dog food rich in proteins and low on carbs. This is also a good way of making dogs lose weight without hunger.
Homemade low-carb diet tips for the dog
Making homemade food is a much safer alternative than purchasing commercial food.
Today, commercial dog food is a billion dollar industry that is more concerned with profits and cheaper food than the nutritional value it contains.
Here are some pure balance low carb diet tips and ingredients for dogs- (foods with low carb diet for dogs)
Dogs need a good amount of proteins, fats as well as fatty acids. Animal meat, dairy and eggs are good sources of proteins while meat and oil provide fats.
The essential fatty acids are available in plant oils, egg yolks, oatmeal etc. Some amounts of carbohydrates can be obtained from grains and vegetables.
The benefit of preparing homemade food is that you can control what goes in and what not.
List of High Protein Low Carb Dog food
Based on the level of activity, different dogs need different amounts of proteins. While it is 18-22% for adult dogs.
It goes as high as 35% for athletic dogs like Sled Dogs.
Though carbohydrates do not fulfill any nutritional requirements in dogs, good quality carbs can provide fibers and energy.
A low carb food essentially contains less than 30% of it.
Here is a list of some high protein low carb dog foods-
Here is a list of some high protein low carb dog foods-
- WysongEpigen 90-contains 63% meat based protein.
- Nature’s Variety Instinct Ultimate Protein- a good low-carb, grain-free, and potato-free dog food choice. Most protein comes from chicken or duck.
- Orijen Tundra Dog Food- contains 38% protein and 16% carbohydrates.
Is a low carb diet good for dogs?
- American Journey Limited Ingredient Diet – A chicken and sweet potato recipe
- Merrick Backcountry Grain Free – Contains 96% Real Beef. The food is a loaf that can be sliced or mashed up.
- The Honest Kitchen Force Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog Food. It is a human grade low carb food
- Ketona Dry Dog Food – carb content comparable to a raw food diet.
Dogs lose weight on low carb
Generally, low-carb diets are great for making dogs lose weight without hunger.
Dogs find high-protein diets more satisfying, while there is no nutritional requirement for carbohydrates.
Diets to help your dog lose weight should be high in protein and low in carbs.
Low carb diet tips for dogs with cancer
Ketogenic Diet is a wonderful way to feed your dog suffering from cancer.
It is basically defined as a high-fat, moderate protein, and low-carb diet.
Using ketones for fuel has been shown to provide a number of overall health benefits, including increased cognitive function, improved insulin sensitivity, and enhanced performance.
Anti Cancer Diet for dogs
Here are a few things that are highly recommended by some professional practitioners to be included in a canine’s diet
- All ingredients should be fresh and easily digestible
- Better if they taste and smell good
- Clean organic food – to refrain from any sort of pesticides and insecticides
- High quality and clean meat
- Fish oil supplements rich in fatty acids
- Antioxidant Vitamin C
- Fresh green and leafy vegetables
- Small amounts of garlic
- Safflower Oil
- Minimum carbohydrates (foods with low no carb diet)
Yeast infections in dogs
A large amount of starch-rich food can cause yeast infections and other allergies in dogs.
Making some small but important changes in his diet can help prevent and overcome these problems.
Here are some foods that can be given-
- Precise Holistic Complete Lamb Meal, Turkey Meal & Garbanzo Bean Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Brothers Complete Venison Meal & Egg Formula Advanced Allergy Care Dry Dog Food
- Instinct by Nature’s Variety Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe with Real Lamb Dry Dog Food
- The Honest Kitchen Limited Ingredient Diet Fish Recipe Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog Food
- Zignature Trout & Salmon Meal Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (foods with low no carb diet)
Low Carb Snacks for dogs
There are various benefits of using low-carb treats for dogs. No sugar rushes to cause diabetes or obesity or any related disease.
Most commercial dog contains a large amount of starch owed to the number of grains they possess.
Starch and sugars aren’t a natural part of your dog’s diet and hence, sugar is the precursor to obesity and allergies.
Strawberries, blueberries, cheese, boiled eggs and green beans are some great “cut fresh and serve” healthy treats for your four-legged friends.
Low Carb treats for Diabetic dogs
All dogs love treats. But with diabetic dogs, it can be vital in stabilizing blood sugar levels or even used as a reward or tool to help with insulin injections.
But, it must be a safe treatment that doesn’t affect the blood sugar levels of a diabetic dog. It is best to prepare them at home. Some of the most common ones are meat based.
Homemade dehydrated chicken, beef or liver are a great choice. These are really simple to make and contain good nutritional value and least of sugars and carbohydrates.
Several recipes are available on the internet.